Imac G3-Replace 0s9 with XP or w98

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingmanRoss

In Runtime
Any possability of replacing,completely) 0s9 with WXP Home??I have a slow iMAC and would like to put XP or even 98 on it thereby wiping out the mac OS.

FYI,how to if it is possable.

No you can't your G3 processor is a power PC type and microsoft will not support them, you can install XP or Vista on modern mac's as they use a standard processor.

Get Yellow Dog Linux an install it on there an see if you can give it a new lease of life.

Is it free like Ubuntu?I have that but it would'nt install,not enough memory,i think.if possable would want to format the drive,if it is not too hard to figure it out.

Yes it is free, most linux distributions are. YDL is designed specifically for the Power PC environment, it is VERY easy to set up most old mac's are supported out the box so it's very very easy to find help on there support wiki.

Went to the site n also cnet.Should I d/l the newest version or an older version??Can I d/l it to a disk or thumbdrive n will it install that way??

download the .iso file and burn it to disk, you can do the thumb drive method if the G3 supports booting from USB and I am almost 100% certain that the G3 wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom