I Need Help!!! (windows Cant Load My Desktop.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you run into the same problem, try scanreg /restore and restore the registry to the a date listed. if these fail, the only other option to restore is to set registry back to the initial time
to do this you'll have to do some attribs...(its been awhile, so may wanna look this up to make sure these commands are right!)

attrib user.1st -r -a -s -h
attrib system.1st -r -a -s -h
ren user.dat user.old
ren system.dat system.old
copy user.1st user.dat
copy system.1st system.dat
attrib user.1st +r +a +s +h
attrib system.1st +r +a +s +h

Just a note: the system.dat and user.1st MAY have to be attribed, too... cant remember. Also, since this is the .1st, you may ONLY have a system.1st and no user.1st..... again its been along time since needing to do this and my mem is a little rusty.

This will make the system boot up like it was brand new. All programs will be there, but it will have to setup user profile again and also will redect everything else. Otherwise, write zeroes, fdisk, format and reload.

asupertech said:
Well really no. since it is a windows command, and is located in the windows directory, By default, (drive letter):\windows\*.* is already a system variable that windows understands. what that means is it is a set path.

ok, so it can be either one then
I have actually run my original installation of XP on the backup's explorer
C:\Windows\ running on C:\backup\explorer.exe

for what its worth, I've found just removing the battery for 60 seconds rarely works.
just a possibility, but maybe if the PSU is still plugged in, the CMOS is still getting power and retains its memory

tell us if clearing the CMOS helps, ATIRAGEPRO

The problem presists.........

Ive removed the linthium ion battery located in the center of the motherboard and all six jumpers. then i left it there for a week or so, But the problem still persists. and unfortunateley began with my original.

????

Well, when you say (sorry, didn't see this post by you) monitor was not responding and a beep code. Now I assume a few things here. One, you have NO video. At all. Just a blank screen or a monitor self test. The beep code is saying something is wrong with the configuration and cant complete to start the bootstrap operation. First, remove the video card, check for any damage on the pins (they dont look like pins, but they are) check the AGP slot for damage. Also any foreign objects. Then reseat the card. Firmly, many will make a slight 'snap' when they are firmly in place and you should see hardly any, if any at all, of the gold/silver pins on the card. It's pretty much a dead give away if the monitor not responding is a black screen and not even bios info. Either card is not seated properly (sometimes several tries, especially on older or reconditioned systems), or the card is bad. Now, if you DO get video, it just locks getting into windows then make sure you have the bus and controller drivers installed for you MBD (I've noticed I've been saying this alot lately ;) ..) The MBD contains special drivers for PCI, AGP and IDE controller (bridge and bus controllers). This can cause SERIOUS problems if it is needed, and very well maybe. Start with a reseat of card...do it a few times before giving up. It's the quickest route.

"Theres something

if you run into the same problem, try scanreg /restore and restore the registry to the a date listed. if these fail, the only other option to restore is to set registry back to the initial time
to do this you'll have to do some attribs...(its been awhile, so may wanna look this up to make sure these commands are right!)

attrib user.1st -r -a -s -h
attrib system.1st -r -a -s -h
ren user.dat user.old
ren system.dat system.old
copy user.1st user.dat
copy system.1st system.dat
attrib user.1st +r +a +s +h
attrib system.1st +r +a +s +h

Just a note: the system.dat and user.1st MAY have to be attribed, too... cant remember. Also, since this is the .1st, you may ONLY have a system.1st and no user.1st..... again its been along time since needing to do this and my mem is a little rusty.

:cool: Im shure you guys mean the best but i think you're forgetting something: Even thoe i have an oporating system, i Can't see it. therefore it's not like having one at all. Therefore I have no way of fixing or editing files because i have no way of seeing them. (I cant go in safe mode either...)

?????
Is there any outher possibilities?:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ok then get a new video card and try that. Do you have an old one? put that in and try

if not run to the local computer store and buy one, should be able to buy a regular 8 meg card for a few bucks.

plug it in and see if it boots up withough any beeps.

if it does great you now know your video card it shot,
if it doesn't you have other problems..

this is why i dont buy "clone" computers....

read the post after the attrib... that's when I realized you didn't have any video. heh, if I had seen that (retarded me) I would of saved alot of room and not typed so much ;) Anyhow, reseat the vid card. That should do it. No video. Bios error (2 beeps???)... No post no video, standard is vid card is either not completely seated or you may of gotten a bad card and HOPE its not the slot.

"F****************************!!!!"

I let some Jackass, (Im not saying any names,) Have this bright idea that if we replaced the the Whole Motherboard With an alltogether new one. (Which included all cards and connections from my old one including the 32 bit ZIF processor.) The monitor would respond and MY desplay would likeley be fixed right?
Unfortunateley, NOTHING HAPPEND. And we later found out why...

One of the pins broke off the processor when it was beeing installed in the Loranger socket. So i had to put my old board back-in and replace the processor with a 166mhz Intel Pentium with MMX Technology. (Twice as slow as my old one!)

Unfortunateley that jackass was me.:cool:

The good news is that i went in the old Garage and found a SUPEROLD Trident 1440 (PCI) Card, and it works! (OOOOh GOD WHY!!!!) With the acception of any good video quality or resolution. Thoe the problem with the display drivers still presists.

???????????????????????

Weird?

I left my computer alone for about a month without dooing anything with it. But when i finally turned it on, It started making this loud beeping noise OVER-and-OVER Again! Every lite on the computer is lit, But Nothing Happens. No Monitor, Nothing!

This SUCKS!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom