how to transfer files between computers

bigdan

Daemon Poster
I've just inherited a 6 month old computer from Dad. I'm trying to figure out how to move files between computers when I need them. I could just copy everything over but not too interested in that. Essentially I want to be able to access files from my old computer (or at least the files on the desktop) and be able to retrieve them on demand. Which software would enable me to do this?

On another note, this 'new' laptop is bloody loud. Any reason for that / anything I can do about that?

If you have rooter, ie WiFi at home, the easiest and fastest way is to use a home server, for example, I personally use the Filezilla Server. Very simple, fast and does not require any additional tools or anything else.
The only thing, if you start using it, is that you have to add additional rules to the firewall on each computer to allow the other computers to connect.
These are FileZilla Server Interface.exe and FileZilla Server.exe. You must enable both of them with a firewall.
Of cource You can use any local server or local network, but I would recommend this one. Then You can download anything from any computer to any other computer and also upload to other computers what ever You want. And You don't need any kind of wires.
Everything You need, can find here
https://filezilla-project.org/

I've just inherited a 6 month old computer from Dad. I'm trying to figure out how to move files between computers when I need them. I could just copy everything over but not too interested in that. Essentially I want to be able to access files from my old computer (or at least the files on the desktop) and be able to retrieve them on demand. Which software would enable me to do this?

On another note, this 'new' laptop is bloody loud. Any reason for that / anything I can do about that?

Connect both computers to the same wifi or attach the network cable to the same home router.

On the computer you want to share files, you just need to share the folder so any other computer on your network can access the share (with credentials).

Here is a link below to help you on Windows 10.
https://pureinfotech.com/setup-network-file-sharing-windows-10/

keep in mind, the computer needs to be switched on to be able to view the files.

Another option would be using Onedrive , so all your files are saved in the cloud.

I went to the settings of my laptop and desktops. I connected both and my phone via bluetooth and also the printer. Everything is connected now. Then in the setting I also checked marked sync everything. Now all I have to do is go to any file, right click and in the pop up menu as usual it shows where you want to send the file. you get the idea. I just click the option to the the other computer. In the other computer you get a pop up that asks if you want to accept a download. You just click yes and then where you want to save it you are done.I make sure to have both computers on.

Back
Top Bottom