Firewall slows down my comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXguy741

Solid State Member
I put a firewall on my comp and shortyl after installing it I noticed my comp speed drop alot. not only on the internet but also just general comp speed. So I uninstalled it. It is made by norton and is the 2004 edition. After uninstalling it my comp speeded up a graet deal. I dont think Im going to install it again. What do you think, who else is running one. OH by the way my OS is XP PRO

How much system memory do you have. With Win xp pro you should have 512 mbs minumum if you plan to run a functional computer.

AndrewtheGreat said:
How much system memory do you have. With Win xp pro you should have 512 mbs minumum if you plan to run a functional computer.

That's untrue. 64mb is minimum but 128 is recommended (microsoft requirments).

But what's minimum or recommended doesn't even matter. I can tell you that I used to run my windows xp pro sp1 fine under 256mb of sdram, actually ran it perfectly, with no slow downs even with a norton firewall (not 2004 firewall). 128 is a different story. Microsfot should update their min. and rec. to 128mb and 256mb respectively.

I don't like norton firewall because I think the program installs too much stuff, process, and services. If all three of those things are slowing down your computer, then you could use a free firewall like zonealarm which uses one service and two process for a total of 6 megs of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom