Fall creators update and stupidity...

I have the update and this doesn't happen to me and I haven't touched any settings. Have the update on 3 machines now actually.

Likes to play Russian Roulette (with Windows 10 updates).
Eventually, one of 'em's gunna git ya. Then it'll be your turn to rant too.
You could disarm those bugs by using a firewall to stop updates until you know it is safe to get'em

I don't have a problem with programs coming back up though, was only giving input that I have 3 machines with the Fall Update and my machines don't do that at all. Ironically the only machine that doesn't have it I have up here at work and I think they are blocking the update from coming through.

I do understand.
I just had a Dell laptop that got borked from update KB 4041676 and Edge was broken and I could not find a fix for it. M$ knows this but hasn't offered any patches for it. Luckily the Fall Creators update just came out so I crossed my fingers with that and now everything is working o.k. including Edge browser.
That does not change that fact that Windows 10 can and probably will trash your pc someday in the future from it's forced updates

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/...on-bootreboot/?tab=comments#comment-598073088

Looks like others are seeing similar behavior. Have seen more people discussing this and the "feature" is intentional, with no option to really fully disable it, especially if you are on a domain.

@Kalju - You seem to be under the impression that I have no idea what I am doing. I can easily disable and prevent any update I choose from going out to machines via WSUS. However, for the time being, I am still supporting Win10 in an environment and am pushing to ditch M$ entirely. However, till that happens, I must figure out fixes for stupid bull**** like this and test things before it rolls out to end users.

UPDATE: Looks like it's intentional, installing ubuntu on my desktop now, sick of this bull**** from Micro$hit.

Thanks to those that posted and didn't seemingly insult my intelligence.

Last edited:
So I asked our imaging team if they have had time to play with the Fall Update yet since they've been working on Office 365 global rollout. They said they have and I asked them about this to which they replied they haven't seen any activity like this on their test machines. So idk what to think about it. If it's there I'd love to have it on my main machine so my tabs are all up as soon as I boot.

PP, it's part of their "Improved Boot Experience"

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...er-preview-build-16251-pc-build-15235-mobile/

The easiest way, log in, open notepad for about 30 minutes, type some **** in, save it, and shut down leaving the application open. Start back up, and it should pop up on its own after logging back in.

If it's not replicating, then I wonder what's different... I have tested this in a fresh machine and a clean VM already, same results.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/..._fall_creators_update1709_megathread/doijr1l/

Off to bed, have to spend another day at the hospital with fam.

Last edited:
I looked at the first link and scimmed through but not seeing anything about the boot experience you're talking about.

Windows will automatically setup your account after it has booted back up.

That section talks about setting your device up after reboots but that's about it, plus shows an opt out area. Wonder if it has anything to do with using a M$ account because I'm not.

That's where my confusion comes from. I don't see why it would be specific for account type if it's something like that, but I don't see in there where they specifically outline what you're explaining.

@c0rr0sive I can confirm that my fresh install of Windows 10 completely updated does this as well. With Chrome, Notepad++ and a few others that are definitely not in startup.

Back
Top Bottom