DPMS suspend mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag100

Baseband Member
Since I formatted the slave HDD on my Compaq Deskpro EP Series, it's been going into DPMS suspend mode.
What the heck is that? I thought all the sleep/suspend bizzo was in the 'power managment' settings, but that's all set on 'never turn off HDD or monitor.'
Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of the darn thing?

Win 98 SE
Compaq Deskpro EP series
500 MHZ
Pentium 3
etc. etc....

ag100

The DPMS standard (Display Power Management Signaling) was developed to extend the useful life of PC monitors as well as to conserve the relatively high amount of energy used by monitors when not required.

In brief terms it works as follows.

The DPMS compliant video controller and the DPMS compliant monitor use the Horizontal sync and Vertical sync signals to control the power mode of the monitor. Because there are 2 signal lines, it allows 4 modes of operation. Normal, Standby, Suspend and Off. The DPMS compliant video card will toggle the sync lines on or off to select the power mode and the monitor will react as follows:

Horiz
Vert
Mode

ON
ON
Normal

OFF
ON
Standby---RGB guns off, power supply on, tube filaments energized, (screen saver mode)

ON
OFF
Suspend---RGB guns off, power supply off, tube filaments energized.

OFF
OFF
Pwr off----Small auxiliary circuit stays on to monitor the HS/VS signals to enable power on when data needs to be displayed on the screen.

Thanks for that- if it's just for the monitor, why does my HDD stop as well? I don't mind the monitor going to sleep, but how do I stop my HDD doing it? Besides I've got a better way of conserving power etc., I just push the off switch on the monitor when I'm not using it!
I still know nothing, but at least I know what to ask!

ag100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom