Download directly to a cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveK

Solid State Member
With direct cd in older versions of windows, you could use the cd almost exactly as you would a floppy. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this in XP. The main thing that I want to be able to do is download directly to a cd, be able to work with the file off the cd and save back to the cd. Does anyone know of a way to do this with winxp or of a program out there that will do it. I have Roxio ez cd and dvd creator and it doesn't seem to even come with direct cd.

Thanks

Can you drag and drop to a cd or cd/rw from Windows explorer?
There are two kinds of formats for CD burners the HP i use one is DirectCd compatable and DirectCd usually comes with Roxio ez cd creator and it usually installs it when you install the software. My son has a different burner in his PC and it is not DirectCd compatable it uses some other format "i can't think of it right now someone else can probably help us there" so if i have a cd/rw formatted with DirectCd on my PC i cannot drag and drop on his PC also i cannot drag and drop his to his cd/rw from my PC I hate that but you have to know what format the Burners you buy are most that are DirectCD will tell you on the box and if i would have known at the time it made a difference i would have bought him a DirectCd compatable burner you live and learn. This may not help you at all and may not even be your problem but i thought i would put in my two cents.
Take Care Mr. Bill

Disable the built-in CD-Writer capabilities.

XP uses Roxio Easy CD Creator's engine, and as many people have found, Roxio and Nero do not work well together.

Even when you install Easy CD Creator, you should still disable the built-in feature, it clashes with ECDC5. XP uses packet writing, like InCD or DirectCD, and we all know what a mess that gives off.

I would think that DirectCD would be a must when trying to download directly to a cd or cd/rw just like trying to drag and drop
do you have DirectCd loaded?

figured it out

This is what I did to get it to work. Roxio ez cd and dvd creator comes with a drag to disk function. All you have to do is drag a shortcut or some kind of file to the drag to disk program. It automatically formats the cd and you can use it like a floppy. There is no specific option to just format the cd. Of course you have to close and pick some options to make the cd readable by another machine that doesn't have the drag to disk running, but it suits the purpose. Thanks for the response.

Thanks for all the replies

If you are using ezcd creator 6 ,, then the drag to disc is accurate,, however, the app puts a reader onto the disc for machines that dont have ezcd 6 on them so that they are able to read,,

if you use a cd-rw,, with ezcd 6 ,, you will have all the functionality that you are speaking of plus the ability to erase the cd,, use it as a virtual drive,, carry info,, etc,, then when done Erase the disc and do it again,,

cheers,

Does the new ezcd creator 6 allow you to format a cd/rw so you can even drag and drop on a pc the has a cd/rw that uses the InCD format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom