disk read error, Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

Working on a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 computer here, shows "disk read error" when computer attempts to boot.

I then went into Recovery Console and copied ntldr off the XP CD to "C:\Windows" just to make sure it wasn't corrupt, that didn't help. Recovery Console said the file was copied and HDD light came on though, so it definitely copied the file, so HDD access and writing to it is not a problem.

Ran chkdsk, everything fine.

Went into bootcfg, it recognizes the Windows XP installation just fine. It's the only OS on the system but I made XP the default anyways just to be sure.

was thinkng about doing a fixboot and fixmbr but would like to copy files off the HDD before i try that just to be safe.

Any other ideas.

So you cant boot? Did you try the fixboot and fixmbr commands from the Recovery Console on the XP CD?

No, the computer does not boot. Still getting the "disk read error" on startup.

I didn't try the fixboot and fixmbr yet because I wanted to get the files off the computer before doing so in case it would lose the files.

Just looking to see if there's anything else I should try before I do the fixboot or fixmbr that may fix it.

That wont lose the files. That is just a way to fix the MBR to boot Win XP.

I did a fixmbr and then fixboot.

Tried to boot and still the same thing, "disk read error".

I'm guessing my only option is to reinstall XP?

Slave the drive into another machine, copy your files and then try to reinstall. I suspect that even though chkdsk found nothing your drive is failing. That or it's the HD cable. But if you could copy files in the console it's seeing the drive.

I'm beginning to wonder if the drive is fubar too.

Must be the hard drive. Tried 2 other cables and both IDE channels, still won't boot.

Only thing I've gained is that I now see the Gateway screen before it says "disk read error". LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom