Disable Open File - Security Warning

i2D__ I've tried everything you've both mentioned. I guess I will have to just live with it. I have for more than 10 years so why care now, eh? It just bugs me to know that you can change these things, but I can't. Being as interested in tech as I am, I have an awfully unusual streak for bad luck and strange errors. When I installed Windows, I had some incredibly unusual zip file errors when trying to install my drivers. Took me 2 hours to get my wifi back.

cb600fshornet. I tried your original option. No luck. I even tried it again just now exactly as you described it. Also the security warning stresses security every time I open it. That's essentially why I want to disable it. I know the risks. I visit the same sites every day and only download from trusted sites and IF something does happen, I'm experienced with malware removal. Besides, I just don't care all that much. To your second reply, that's usually the case. However all I can find are Windows 7 options.

I dunno. I appreciate both of you trying to help me and if you have any shots in the dark, I'm willing to give it a try. I'm gonna revise everything, try each option and reboot. Maybe I'll have some luck and I'll report back if I do.

Thanks again!

UPDATE: I really should pay more attention. In GPedit, I managed to use the top tree, Computer Configuration, rather than the bottom tree, User Configuration. I was not able to find the "Attachment Manager" so I felt it was only in Win7, and not XP. After carefully going back through, I managed to DISABLE IT! To verify, I downloaded a few files to test with and they all came back positive.

I've honestly been trying to do this for over a year, I don't know why I managed to overlook this. Thank you both so much for dealing with my ignorance and i hope you both have a good day.

No worries, it can get stressful and everyone tends to go into "tunnel vision". Happens all the time in IT, just need to step back for abit lol.

Glad to hear its sorted now. :cool:

EDIT: See my main issue is that I'm hanging on XP. I recently had to format due to some nasty corruption, and my laptop doesn't have a CD drive so I have to make bootable USB. I was going to put 7 on it but the iso was corrupted. My XP iso was the only working one (also, I'm more comfortable with XP)

PM sent.

Back
Top Bottom