cant find something I Just installed in the start menu

bigdan

Daemon Poster
So I sometimes have this issue where after I install something I cant find it in the start menu. But I've never actually been able to figure out why and then I forget to figure this out. Now I have an example fresh in my mind.

I just installed Thunderbird about 10 mins ago. When I click on the Start menu I dont see it anywhere, even though the program itself is open right now. Its made by Mozilla, but there's no Mozilla folder or Thunderbird folder, or anything.

I just did a search in the Start Menu for Thunderbird and found the program that way. I right clicked to find the folder its in but that didnt help.

Under Target it says: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"

Under Start In it says: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird"

Does this mean its not in my Start Menu at all?

THanks
Dan

When I click on the Start menu I dont see it anywhere, even though the program itself is open right now. Its made by Mozilla, but there's no Mozilla folder or Thunderbird folder, or anything.

I just did a search in the Start Menu for Thunderbird and found the program that way. I right clicked to find the folder its in but that didnt help.

So if you found the program by hitting start searching for thunderbird.
If your using windows 7, right click on the icon and have it be pinned to the taskbar and then to the start menu.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download/?product=thunderbird-31.5.0&os=win&lang=en-US
I just check the installer and it doesn't give the option of offering shortcuts.
Try that if it works do it this way from now on.

So if you found the program by hitting start searching for thunderbird.
If your using windows 7, right click on the icon and have it be pinned to the taskbar and then to the start menu.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download/?product=thunderbird-31.5.0&os=win&lang=en-US
I just check the installer and it doesn't give the option of offering shortcuts.
Try that if it works do it this way from now on.

thanks for this. that's not what i want to do though, i dont want to force whatever doesnt show up naturally into the taskbar. my question was more trying to figure out where in the start menu its hidden. how do i find that?

Some programs don't create folders/shortcuts in the start menu during install - especially if you unchecked those options during install. All depends on how the installer was programmed.

thanks for this. that's not what i want to do though, i dont want to force whatever doesnt show up naturally into the taskbar. my question was more trying to figure out where in the start menu its hidden. how do i find that?

If you have windows 7 and you run installer and it didn't show up like its suppose to.
Either the programmer didn't implement that or its like carnage mention.
I have windows 8 and I ran the program it didn't show up.
Even though you don't want to force it or make a short cut on the taskbar.
Sometimes thats best way, if the icon shortcut gets corrupted, remove it from the taskbar and retack it again.

Otherwise you will need to do it the old fashion way and go to the program folder and execute it.

Back
Top Bottom