AD Domain user or local admin - user for app installation

wytas

Baseband Member
Hey,
I am wondering what the difference between, installing applications to a domain PC with local admin user and installing applications with a domain user with local administrator privileges.
In work i have about 50 PC's in all i need to re-install applications with expired license. I could ask all PC's users passwords, but it is annoying, could reset pass via AD but that's make more work to do.
Any suggestions?
P.S. In all PC's local admin password is the same.
P.P.S. I am just a beginner IT admin, don't judge my plz :rolleyes:

I would suggest looking/reading up on Group Policy deployment for your applications. Much easier than walking around/loggin in on each machine.

If the money is there, System Center Configuration Manager takes care of this ;)

And there is no difference between local and domain when it comes to installing as domain admin is part of local admins group.

Sent from my more than capable BB 9860

Thanks for replay CntdwnToExtn :]
System Center Configuration Manager will come with Win Server 2012 on the new one server, it should be done at the beginning of next years. I think that it is not worth to install SCCM in old server, because when WS2012 will come old server will be burned :D
So i understand now that i can do my work with local or domain admin user.
Hmm with Kaspersky installation this sould work good.
With MS Office... with re-installing MS Outlook (POP3 mailbox) *.pst file should be where it was (user/doc...), IMAP boxes mails holds in a mail server... It's annoying because user, after re-installation, should find Outlook as it was earlier :silent:

I have a similiar question, and didn't want to start a new thread for it as to not take up space on the forums.

I was at an office I'm not familiar with setting up a new PC for them. They asked if I could load their new accounting software on the server to distribute it to all the PC's in the office. The software came with instructions, but at the first step, it says security levels are too high, you must lower them to install this software. I'm VERY new to AD, so I instantly got confused. Does this mean the servers firewall? Or security policies? I didn't want to trial and error it on a live server during their workday.

If anyone can point me in the right direction so I can read up on it more that would awesome. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom