Windows 7 Black Screen After Logo with Cursor

Area-1255

Baseband Member
So unfortunately this happened after my cousin dropped my other Laptop, and it is one of my good ones so I'm pretty pissed. Sure, it's Windows 7 and a bit old, but its custom settings, drive encrypted and has a lot of important files (most of which are backed up, fortunately). Today, and all of yesterday, its had a black screen after the Windows 7 logo. It hangs with a blank black screen after stalling for several minutes with the logo. Then its just a black screen with the cursor.

So, I've tried the following.

1.) System Restore in Safe Mode & Startup Repair. Didn't help, and in fact probably slowed it down since it was after the recent and only available restore point from the 24th (as none other could be found) ... I had done a lot of cleaning on the 25th.

2.) MalwareBytes. I updated it in Safe Mode w/Networking, and it did not find a thing.

3.) Regedit. I checked the WinLogon and the explorer.exe was correctly labeled under Shell.

4.) Graphics Driver. I tried updating the Graphics Driver to no avail.

5.) Windows Update Installations. There was no new update installed, in fact, I usually never update this particular system, but he didn't either - checked that, no new updates.

Any ideas my royal Techist Brethren?

Also worth mentioning that this could have to do with the fact that this issue actually started with not being able to log-in and progressed from being served a ''Temporary Profile'' so kindly by Windows 7.

So unfortunately this happened after my cousin dropped my other Laptop

Confused on this bit - is the laptop you're having issues with that's stuck at the black screen the one that was dropped, or is that a different laptop altogether?

Confused on this bit - is the laptop you're having issues with that's stuck at the black screen the one that was dropped, or is that a different laptop altogether?

Yes, its the one that was dropped. However, it operates fine (actually amazingly fast) in Safe Mode w/Networking [where it has remained until I troubleshoot it with success].
If you guys believe this is a hardware issue, lmk.
I can try opening the thing up but honestly I'm more adept at Software than Hardware.
With that being said, I can work with Logic.

If it has a hard drive and not an SSD, then being dropped is damn near a death sentence for it.

If it has a hard drive and not an SSD, then being dropped is damn near a death sentence for it.

I hear ya, but it was an incredibly short drop and onto a fluffy carpet, is it possible something else caused this? Any other troubleshooting methods?
I just logged on through it in Safe Mode, here, and it is very fast, working perfectly in Safe Mode - no lag, nothin'. Doesn't that rule out a Hardware issue?

I'd try running a chkdsk.

Did that. Everything checked out. Now I ended up buying a USB-boot fixer and it seemed to get it back working. However its still not the same as before. Very very slow. So I ended up just buying a new laptop to replace that one. :D

Back
Top Bottom