External harddrive for all torrents/movies etc to avoid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxfile84

Solid State Member
Hi, I just bought a very expensive top-notch laptop through our university, vista enterprise etc 9-cell battery and so on. And even though I think the HD is 5400rpm it goes lightningfast, 2gb ram. I got rid of my ordinary deskcomputer. But the needs to dl new tv shows through torrents I couldnt get rid off. I got a 250gb external USB drive. Now to the question. If I install the torrent program on that external drive, will the downloads then not affect my ordinary harddrive since I´ve heard torrents fragment the harddrive up pretty badly. And would it be wise to put firefox on that drive since I surf constantly and all the pictures, texts documents etc fragments the original harddrive? I just want this speed to sustain. And one last question, when I ran sisoft sandra it could only read and write in total 970kb/s which seems low, is it the limit of usb 2.0 or is the harddrive getting old, cause in that case Ill buy a firewire HD and a PCMCIA card with firewire ports.

Any input is highly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance /Nima

No, I do that kind of set-up on my desktop and laptop. And the limit of USB 2.0 is crazy if your download speed is that fast then your downloads should take 10 seconds.

I download all my shareaza torrents straight on to my external with the program self contained on it along with vlc so I can watch the partial files....

This forum of course does not condone the use of torrents due to copyright laws

torrents are legal as long as your downloading stuff that was meant to be downloaded....some linux distros use torrents to take the load off their servers

Yeah but I wonder if I the torrent prog like utorrent is put on the external harddrive and you download to it, doesnt it cache the files on main anyway?

no all temporary files will be saved n the location chosen which should be defaulted to the file on the external....... OP wants to download tv shows which have questionable copyright laws. I know that not all torrents are illegal and I frequently change my linux distro on my laptop using them but there is a large amount of content which is in the grey area of copyright laws

torrents are legal as long as your downloading stuff that was meant to be downloaded....some linux distros use torrents to take the load off their servers

some games use torrents to download updates for some games....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom