WTF!!! Saphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

w108rew

Solid State Member
I just built my computer 3 days ago. My system runs fine except when I play games (BF:V, C&C:Generals). It plays flawlessly for about 5-10 minutes then it crashes and restarts. I have tried Omega drivers, new catalyst drivers, old catalyst drivers. I have yet to update my BIOS, but that is next on my list. This doesn't seem to be a very unique situation either, others have had the same problem. I am starting to regret my purchase. Could it be heat? I have heard that sometimes sound and video conflict in games and cause a crash. I have recieved two "overclocking" errors, but I haven't done any overclocking. I should also say that I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo (integrated sound) and 1 Gb of RAM and an Antec power supply. Could it be refresh rate on my monitor? What is the optimal refresh rate?

P.S. I know someone is going to recommend an nVidia 6600, and thats what I am going to do but only as a last ditch effort. But who is a better 3rd party manufacturer? Chaintech, Evgna, Gigabyte, etc.

updaye bios and mobo drivers. get the newest game patches. if that doesn't work than get an eVGA 6600GT

Is there any software that monitors Video card temp? I have ASUS probe, but I think it only monitors mobo temp and CPU temp.

Alright, I have figured out my problem. This is what I did. I went into my BIOS and changed the AGP setting to 4x rather than 8x. Then, I opened up the Catalyst Control Center Software, went to SmartGart and made sure that the video card settings were the same as my system settings (ie. make sure all of the "yes" "no" boxes on the left match exactly whats in the "yes" "no" boxes on the right). If you don't do this last part, you will get noticeable but not horrible lag in your games.

Asus probe really blows because it hogs a sh*t load of system resources. when i had my old computer (AthlonXP 2200+ 768GB PC2100, on a A7N8X-Delux) it nearly doubled my start up time and ate up a huge chunk of my ram. i suggest turning it off even if you use it alot.

telling someone to get an evga 6600gt if it doesn't work is pretty damn dumb

btw, you DO know that you are lowering your performance by changing it to 4x instead of 8x

maybe your psu can't handle the card?

the difference between 4x and 8x is so subtle its rediculous. it only matters on super-high-end cards. but on a 9800XT/5950 Ultra and under, there is no difference at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom