Wireless routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul_kerslake

Baseband Member
hey do wireless routers make your internet a lot slower? like as opposed to one with cables cause i hear it can be reaaaaally laggy in games?

Wireless routers don't have as high a file transfer rate as wired routers so that is probably where the lag occurs. Another possible option could also be because people don't update to the latest firmware. Generally though, you should be fine.

You won't experience any lag becase of the wireless configuration, the bottleneck occurs with the internet connection itself. Even if you have a cable broadband connectioin that runs at 6 mbps, it won't lag because at the bare minimum 802.11b has a throughput of 11mbps and 802.11g is at 54mbps.

If you want to transer large files from two computers, you WILL see a difference because typical wired networks work at 100mbps twice the speed of an 802.11g network.

But your question was internet related... and the answer is NO your internet will not lag because of your wireless connection. (Take it from me, I'm posting this using my laptop, DSL, and a 802.11g connection... no problems here)

I also have a wireless router and I play Halo (the greatest game ever) over the Internet with no problems (although I would rather have the PC version). Of course when you have more than one computer on the same Internet connection, it's gonna go a little bit slower than it would for each on separate connections, but that's not something you could avoid with wires.

yea i have one computer but im buyin a new one which will be on wireless and will be upstairs... i heard that things like phones and microwaves can screw up the signal or something? but i dunno if thats true.. yea i just heard it can lag in 3d graphic intensive games and it wouldnt if it was by cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom