Will skt 939 still be around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
in around 1.5 years when i upgrade my comp/get a new comp, will i still be able to use a skt 939 or will a new socket for amd come out?

I am almost positive that AMD will still have socket 939 CPUs in production until at least 2007, you can quote me on that one.

A new socket is already out (940), but 939 should still be around. 940 is for the FX processors though.

Edit: er, the 940 is for opertons.. I thought they had just come out with a new socket?

Partial true, socket 940 is another socket currently in use by AMD, however it's nothing new, and I think it may actually predate socket 939. It was originally used for server CPUs, such as the Opteron and early FX processors (FX-51 I believe, maybe FX-53).

It's strictly for Opteron use now, which is not a practical processor for the average consumer.

939 will be out for awhile, not sure how long but it will be alive and kicking for at LEAST the next 1.5 years that you have to wait.

waynejkruse10 said:
look at socket A, it lasted for years. 939 will still be around for a while.

true, my last two comp (2003 and 2001) have been socket A's

socket 940 came out basically when 754 and 939 did...they all came out around the time, hence a lot of confusion and questions on these forums as to which to get. 754 = dying or mobiles
939 = what you should get, normal desktop platform, 940 = server chips only. Requires ECC Registered RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom