Will my ram bottleneck my overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
right now i'm using geil value series dual channel 1 gig (2x512) 2.5-7-4-4 (advertised)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-310&depa=1

i have those without the heatspreaders

i was wondering if those could bottle neck my OC (on cpu-z and bios, it's read as 2.5-8-4-4 or 2.5-4-4-8; dunno which way u read it)

when i tried to oc past 210fsb on stock voltage, i either can't get pass the second black window (the window where u boot from the windows XP cd if you're installing it) and either it's just blank and can't get pass or gives a "cannot read drive etc." error

of course, i'm not going to OC right now, but eventually in a year or so when my 3200+ doesn't seem as fast i will be overclocking

does this mean i will have to spend nearly $200 for decent ram to OC (i spent 125 on this ram + tax; i didn't know it had a huge effect on ocing :()

Try changing your multipliers on the ram to loosen the timings. I don't think you need to drop the CAS speed then.

Try the ram multipliers at 5:6

wow dude, that are horrible timings for PC3200 RAM.... 2.5-4-4-8!?! Ouch, the 4-4 is what is the really crappy part. The 2.5 and 8 (cas latency and cycle time) effect stability more than bandwidth...if you wanted to overclock you'd want to loosen those two numbers and after you got so far you'd then want to raise the middle numbers, but jesus, they are already loose as all ungodly hell. You'd be better off selling those and getting these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=1

THOSE will OC...the ones you have, I highly doubt will want to go very far at all. BTW When OC'ing you will need more than stock voltage dude, they can probably take 2.8-2.9 without any problems at all, RAM can generally take more voltage than people think, but sometimes valueRAM won't like to be OC'd or messed with at all.

Try changing your multipliers on the ram to loosen the timings. I don't think you need to drop the CAS speed then.

Try the ram multipliers at 5:6
There are no multipliers that effect their timings. The kind of ratio you are talking about would just make the CPU and RAM not perform at a 1:1 ratio, which is what he would want for optimum overall system performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom