Why wont my screen start up after i build my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant P.

Beta member
I just built a computer, got it all put together and everything, everything is where it is suppose to go and i put in my video card got it all plugged in, and it starts up but nothing shows up on the screen. if you can help me reply. one more question does thermal grease always have to be applied to a new computer?
your help will be greatly apreciated.

thanx
Grant P.

Well I'm not to sure about the thermal compound question, I assume it's SHOULD be applied but not sure if its necessary. Do you hear any beeps at all or just the hard drives or nothing?

Grant P. said:
I just built a computer, got it all put together and everything, everything is where it is suppose to go and i put in my video card got it all plugged in, and it starts up but nothing shows up on the screen. if you can help me reply. one more question does thermal grease always have to be applied to a new computer?
your help will be greatly apreciated.

thanx
Grant P.

Install an operating system,eg Windows.
:eek:
Who is this jerk who suggested "thermal grease" ?
By the way glad to see you have a computer to get you here tonight.
:D

Re: Re: Why wont my screen start up after i build my computer

stan-the-man said:

Stan... please dont knock something you obviously know absolutely nothing about.

Thermal grease isnt absolutely necessary (if its an AMD chip it may have a thermal pad already installed) but it lowers your core temp by 10-15C. Its a very good idea. It only costs ~$8 so get it if you havent. Application is simple.

The beeping you hear is POST beeps. Consult your motherboard manual for what they mean.

Hey Grant.

If you're getting a dead screen and there's nothing obvious like askew power connections inside your pc (do check them again!), you might need to take a look at your video card. Strip it back to bare bones and start again. Eliminate the culprits as you go.

For peace of mind.... Stan don't know shyte so don't listen.

Good luck, Grant, and let us know how you go. Most of us real techies are here to help.

Cheers!

kiri

kiri said:

Stan don't know shyte so don't listen.

Im glad someone else finally said it. This is the second time Ive seen this guy has given absolutely ridiculous advice.

stan-the-man said:

Wow! I can see why Stan got banned! Sounds like someone was out to intentionally give someone inaccurate info.

I thought there was a small amount of thermal paste that came applied on CPU's and the fans that cheap a$$ fan that came with them.

Grant, if there aren't any beeps, try reseating the video card, and check to make sure that the CPU is fitted correctly. I did the last one when I built my computer, and had to go buy a new one.

I usually don't reply to anything he has to say, because I've seen more than a couple of times when he gives either bad advice or doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. (I'm not sure which)

stan-the-man said:
ok, how are you meant to install an OS with a completely blank screen?

it might just be a faulty cable connecting the monitor from the video card, it is surprisingly common.

All it is, is you might have a bad cabel, if you can see power is going to all your devices, then it has to be a cabel of some sort, or maybe you have a faulty mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom