Why does my PC keep loosing power and shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkylegs

Beta member
My PC Recently just statred losing power semi randomly and sutting down instantaniously now windows is logging off or any of that just straight to black a nice pop of the speakers and all pc activity stops. It usually refuses to boot back up for a period of time somethimes 4 minutes sometimes two hours. It will try and get to some random point and then just power down again. It seems to loose power mostly though not exclusivly when I have some heafty processes going on rather than when windows is the only thing running. I am running windows xp pro and recently reformated my hardrive and reinstalled windows but the problem persists. Is this my power source or somthing else suggested solutions please

Do you know what your temperatures are? As you just described what happens when your pc gets too hot. The automatic shut down is why it turns off, and it goes into thermal hybernation for a while until it cools.

You will have to get a better heatsink or better case cooling or better still both.

Possibilities:

1. Overheating.
2. Faulty PSU.

Those are trademark signs of a PC with a bad PSU, an overheating problem, or a combination of the two. Check it out, report back.

everything was good with the computer for about a year and a half before this started happening so Im guesing something has stopped working or isnt working as well as it once did. Im likely gonna come across as retarded here but how can I check my tempetures and psu. I know more about this stuff than most folks and have done quite a bit of work on the inards af a few pc's b4 though not this one, but this is something I have not had to deal with b4.

I believe that's called overheating :( I've had same problems, except mine was/were for longer periods of time.

It probably is heat, but it could also be a faulty PSU. if u open up your case and look at your power supply, could you take a picture of the sticker that should be on it? If u can, please post it on the board. Or at least tell us the make, and the capacity. There are alot of crap PSUs flaoting around out there. Also, what are ur system specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom