System Specs:
  • ASUS A8V Deluxe
  • AMD 64 3800+
  • ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb
  • Corsair 2 gig DDR 3200 XMS Dual Channel
  • Wester Digital 250 gig & 80 gig
  • Windows XP Pro SP1

The Problem:
When I first got Doom 3 I noticed white dots on the screen, at first I was like what the hell it's only one game and didn't care. Bu then it started showing up in HL2 and Battlefield 1942. These aren't texture curroptions because the dots are on random points and flicker from one point to another.

I've come to the conclusion that this might have been caused by my graphics card over heating because I have swapped my card with my old TNT2 and 9800 Pro.

Now if it is the heat which im sure on, I was looking into buying something to fix the problem, maybe a fan thing that goes into my pci slot or a mount on heat sync. Thing is removing the heatsync is risky and I don't want ot harm my card.

Any suggestions or may the be caused by something else?

Have you tried updating your video card drivers? Just a guess, it might work. I don't think the heat does that, unless it's boiling. lol

Does sound like overheating. If you get a new cooler and it doesn't fix problems though then I'd say permanent damage was caused and you'd need to RMA it

If these 'white dots' are obviously something other than regular aliasing, then these 'artifacts' come due to your GFX card overheating. What temperature does your 9800 run at when under load? Have you overclocked anything?

Getting a better cooler may be the best option, but in the meantime try cleaning out dust from inside your PC's case, especially from any fans/heatsinks. Also try leaving the side panel off your case to improve airflow.

Rayne, I can't have 2 faulty cards...

I haven't overclocked anything and I run my games at high since my system should take them with fair frames per second.

Not sure how to find the temperature on my cards though sorry. Also remove the side panel and putting a fan next do it does sort of fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom