When is it time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Individual

Beta member
I am all about the new stuff! Can't seem to hold myself from buying every new thing coming or already out. I do know what is an average system to run damn near anything. Just the thought that I'm barely making ends meet, isn't my cup of tea. I like working with the new tech stuff. Also know that its always over-kill when it comes down to it. Meaning wasting money, so they say. I sometimes think that it will benefit me in the long run since it will be longer before I upgrade. I build all my stuff, so I'm saving a little there. I built a computer a year ago, haven't really touched it since, been deployed, OIF. I feel its time to play catch up!

I'm trying to improve my thinking process in this matter, just thick headed and I know it. Anyone have a good rule of thumb to abide by? For example, every year upgrade entire system. Maybe every 6 months upgrade one piece of hardware. Throw me a bone!

I have a P4 3.0Ghz w/ Asus P4P800 Deluxe, and all the trimmings.

Well, PC's are doubling in speed about every year to year and a half, BUT as of recently the hardware has gotten way ahead of the software excpet for a handful of games.Still NO 64 BIT TRUE OS or real 64bit mode drivers by anybody.........OS X and linux and now just recently windows has 64bit kernel, but thats it for ALL of them, the rest is still 32 bit apps running on a 64 bit kernel and CPU if youve got one.You will be waiting awhile for that to get dealt with.Then the dual cores just hit the scene.Thats a big choice, do you wait and see what happens?(I would and am), until the ps3 and xbox360 gets rolling the desktop PC's arent likely to see much multithreaded apps needing multicore cpu's.........food for thought.

Well, you need to throw US a bone by telling us your complete system. not just "all the trimmings".

I can't remember too much about my system, I'm still transfering from Iraq. I got a lot of ddr, Nvidia 8x 256mb Agp card, could be wrong on my video card, SB Audigy sound-card, two Raptor HD's on a Raid. Nice LCD monitor from Samsung. Xp Pro of course.

Waiting is a nice option, might just take your advice. Sure would save me more for my next system when it comes along. Let the market unfold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom