What's Wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.

techboy73

Solid State Member
The other day I took my friends hard drive home with me to erase the drive and put a new OS on it, I did this using my computer, after I was done I made sure everthing worked fine, it did. Now, I try to put this drive back in my friends computer and it won't boot past POST. I checked the bios and IT DID recognize the drive, but it won't boot. I went and put this drive back in my computer and it works fine. Now I took another hard drive and put it in my Friends computer to verify it's not a bad hard drive controller, the drive works fine in it. Can anyone tell please tell me why his hard drive which I prepared on my computer will not work in the original (his)computer anymore. Thanks (the jumpers are set correctly) (tried different boot orders) (set cmos settings back to default through the cmos setup) (should I try pulling the cmos batter out, will this work)?

when you took the drive and put in the other computer and loaded the OS, you used all the drivers from the hardware in your computer and he probably had different hardware. all this mostlikely is, is a driver problem. you need to load the OS on his computer.

Thanks

Thanks Tech4hire, you are exactly right. It works fine now that I installed the os using his computer. I thought I have done that before (taking a Hard drive out of one computer and installing an OS using my computer) but I guess I never did. Thanks again!

Re: Thanks

techboy73 said:
I thought I have done that before (taking a Hard drive out of one computer and installing an OS using my computer) but I guess I never did.

maybe you did this with win98, millenium. that may have worked. with win2000 and winXP it rarely works like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom