What is the V switcher on a PSU for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StimulateSituate

Baseband Member
that is the input voltage selector if you are in US as i know you are 110volts, ask your parents what voltage you are using for your appliances if it is 110 or 220 volts and yes if you selected the wrong voltage it will blow up your PSU so take extra precaution when changing this.

Oh no!!! Don't do that... Tried flicking the switch on an old hair dryer I borrowed from 240v down to 115v because it ran too slow. Worked very good for about 5 seconds before I could see the element inside it get red hot and the dryer was no more!
Computers do cost more than hair dryers. All of Europe uses 240v I think (except for building sites which use transformers for 110v), the US is all 110v

o shoot thats scary. when i first built my computer, i set it on 220. it just shut down on itself. i guess the psu sensed it and just shut down.

i hope i didnt do any lasting damage on my parts. its working well right now though

o shoot thats scary. when i first built my computer, i set it on 220. it just shut down on itself. i guess the psu sensed it and just shut down.

i hope i didnt do any lasting damage on my parts. its working well right now though

if you are in the US yes setting it to 220 will shutdown or totally not power up your unit because there is not enough voltage to power it up, however in other parts of the world it is more worst, if you set the voltage to 110 and your voltage is 220 it will surely fry your unit. so as i said earlier dont try to mess with this switch unless you know what you are doing.

the wall outlet in the us only out puts out 110v. when you put the switch to 220v then the psu is expecting 22v when it is only getting 110v. so it may not power on correctly. but the opposite will happen if you are outside the us and put it on 110v and plug it in to 220v it wil prob fry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom