What could I use to protect external HDDs from dust?

Boom123

Baseband Member
Hello,
I have 6 external HDDs which I use for my back ups, problem is, I live in a very dusty area in a semi-basement, so loads of dust comes into the room daily. 2 of these drives are Western Digital Elements, which have a very big open area to vent heat, but dust could easily get in from there. I was thinking of buying anti-static bubble wrap (RED Small Bubble Wrap 300mm 500mm 750mm ANTI STATIC PROTECTION FREE DELIVERY | eBay) to cover the drives when not in use. Any opinions?

On the same note, can I cover my gaming rig when not in use with this same bubble wrap? It has vents on the top of the case, so dust could easily get in.

Thanks for any advice :D

Just use a cloth or whatever you have on hand. You don't need an anti-static covering, the outside of the hdd cases won't be connected to anything you could kill by accidental static electricity discharge.

And the same will be true for your PC - heck, common practice is to touch the metal frame of the PC case before touching anything like the memory directly, because you can safely discharge any static buildup you might have into the case first

Back
Top Bottom