Weird Hardrive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolarisTwin

Beta member
Just yesterday for some unknown reason my computer crashed, completely crashed. Now when I boot up, windows and everything loads fine from my boot drive which is a 160 gb western digital sata drive or something, I forget the exact specs now, but my other drive which was a 45 gb IDE drive from a while ago will show up in my computer, but when I double click it it says it's not formatted and asks me if I want to. Of course I don't, is there a way to recover my shit before the drive completely craps out or something? I have lots of stuff on that drive that would be a real pain if I lost, can I go into dos and copy all the contents onto my other drive or something? Thanks

I don't know the exact DOS commands for the task.
To be frank I am really poor when DOS is concerned.
But U can try these
Enter Dos by typing "command" inside the RUN command box.
Type the drive letter which U wanna backup followed by : and press enter
Now type dir/p to see the folder names.
Now type
copy xxxx yyyy:
where xxxx=folder's name
yyyy=destination drive letter

now minimize command prompt and goto the yyyy drive to set Ur files(otherwise files from all the folders get mixed up).
Repeat the above steps till all the files have been copied.

To copy the files which are not inside the folders type
copy *.* yyyy:
If U already know this and was expecting something else then this might look dumb but I to tell the some thing to my friend who had a similar problem and was helpless as he knew nothing about DOS

bump - someone help me out, that won't work because the drive isn't even being detected in windows anymore. It's detected and fine in my BIOS, but in windows it's as if it never existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom