!! WD SATA 160gb win2k data corruption !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apx

Baseband Member
I recently bought a PC with "ASUS P4P800 Deluxe" mainboard and 160gb WD SATA hard drive. I had no problems making my computer to find that hard drive, i didn't even have to install any drivers when installing windows. But after i installed windows 2000 i had some serious problems. Some of my files became corrupted. They all where named stupidly and i couldn't even delete them. after restart chkdisk finds some broblems and fixs it. but after a while windows didn't even boot, because reistry was messed up. I reinstalled windows a couple of times but still the same problem.. :( but then i tried installing windows xp pro and now everything works good. but i still want windows 2000 so please help....

Make sure when u install the O/S that the SATA drivers were made SPECIFICALY for Windows 2000! Anything else will result in corruption due to the system being unable to communicate with the HDD properly.

No my windows cd is ok. i installed this windows on my old pc with ata hard drive an everything is ok. So this is really a problem of sata hard drive and win2k.

beedubaya said:
Mabye your Windows 2000 CD has corrupted files on it. I doubt its a hard drive problem if XP Pro works fine.

But i didn't even had to install any sata drivers... windows setup found that hard drive without any drivers installation.. maybe you can write an url where can i download these drivers so i will try to install windows using them

agex000 said:
Make sure when u install the O/S that the SATA drivers were made SPECIFICALY for Windows 2000! Anything else will result in corruption due to the system being unable to communicate with the HDD properly.

XP and 2000 has service packs to address this issue. disable sata and set to IDE compat in BIOS, update the SP and then reenable SATA.

I think the data corruption is due to the fact that the drive is actually emulating SATA but naturally runs with Paralell ATA, data corruption has known to occur with non-native SATA drives

I know Seagate drives are native SATA, and I'm pretty sure there are a few others, but I know the WD 160GB SATA's are non-native

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom