Vista, DX10, M2, End/Beg of an ERA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
So all of this new tech coming out this summer has really got me thinking/worried. Are we at the end of a computing Era? If so great things are ahead, but what will happened if DX10 will become exclusive and not reverse compatiable, including the games themselves will need to be DX9 or DX10...not both. So prices on 939s, DX9 cards etc will drop but it would be a dead investment. I'm very confused on what to do. DX10 looks like a dream but I have a feeling the stuff out today will be dirt cheap then, but not without a reason! Any comments on this wave of new tech? (Vista is MS new OS, M2 is AMD new socket) This is a very difficult time to be looking into a new computer, wouldn't you say? It seem the industry wants you to buy all new stuff. What do you guys think?

It'll be the beginning of a new era sure, but not the end of the last one. Games are still made to be compatible with older versions of windows, and MS and the devs would be fools to write off XP the day Vista hits the shelves. Im sure games will be made to be compatible with Vista, and XP for awhile to come

:rolleyes:

I would like to clear up one small yet very significant detail that this forum seems to have swept underneath the carpet which continues to frighten many people such as yourself, and that is the simple fact that computers become obsolete. When you buy a computer, you must understand that everything about that computer will mean absolutely nothing in 5 years...this has always been the cases and always will be the case.

If I may direct you to Moores Law, after observing the development of microprocessors it was concluded that they should become roughly twice as powerful within 18 months time. If you are worried about buying something because it may one day become obsolete, why do people continue to buy gas powered cars, knowing all too well that natural gas may be gone in less than a century?

My computer does what I want it to do you now, and I feel that what I paid for it was justified. I most certainly don't care about what to expect one year from now or 10 years from now, and I'm not going to worry about it. If I find my PC to be unable to perform some tasks that I want to do, I will make the neccesary upgrades when I need to and when I feel the price is affordable. I don't need to SLI 7800s and I don't need 2GB of RAM and such to be happy with what I do now, and yes, perhaps in the future I will need such neccesities, but why should I buy them now and pay a premium for "futureproofing" when I don't need them now and I can buy them later when they are cheaper

I'm tired of seeing these topics now

But don't you want DX10? Thats what I'm saying. and now its so close that its like hmm....buy into a new market or reap the benifits of a now ending market. Because as soom as that g71 hits...geforces are gonna "drop it like its hot" I'd like to be compatiable for as long as possible. And i think delaying a new build by 4 months might be a smart move thats all.

i think we will be fine just i really think its a bad time to be upgrading right now becuzz the new stuff is just around the corner...

If you wait there is only newer stuff around the corner it's a never ending process

The M2 will not be that great of an improvment and it will be at a bloated price grab a dual core processor using the current 939.

As for DX10 grab yourself a nice video card but make sure it's eVGA when the time comes you can easilly use their wonderfull step up program to get an DX10 then if you find it nessesary.

As for Vista you can check the stickied thread in the windows forum but I'd be weary when reading about it as there is alot of false hype currently about it both good and bad hype.

Dammit. There will always be backward compatibility. Always. Just like now we can make full use of software from the past, albiet sometimes not with the best quality, and if you want the use the lastest software and hardware you must upgrade. But dammit again I say cause that means that my current comp, which is already stretched out, will be completely unsalvagable in 2 years.

tyler - the evga step up program is only for the first 3 months of purchase. thats why i'm hoping the 7900 comes out in march....

well vista is just something new. like intel in apples soon. Huge...but not crucial. Its just wierd. I'd like NOT to get stuck with a 939 while the market is in AM2 a month later. I want something that will last ya know. Something i can build off of again sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom