video probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
When I play games (or any other video/graphics apps) about every 10-15 seconds my fps drop to zero for a second or two. I have tried adjustments of video quality and everything. I have all the current drivers and directx 9.0 installed, there are no other apps running when it happens or loads on my system. My friend has the same Nvidia card and has no probs with his, running same games etc. Is there something I need to do to fix this? I'd hate to have to go buy another video card though I'd love another one. Specs are down below. HELP

It dependson the game - but if it's something like UT2k4, it'll drop on anything less than like...a TI4200 - I really don't know why but the MX cards are really low end and drop out games a lot. I had one before and it would drop Serious Sam - and if it drops that - it's gotta be low end.

But one thing you could do is get a benchmarking program and see if it's really dropping or if it's just lag. Also the speed of your hard drive can mess things up like that. I'm on a laptop with a 2.8 ghz celeron and a 40 gb hd - but it's 4200 RPM and that's sloooww and it drops things to UT2k4 a lot even though I'm runing it at 320x240...

If you have a 5400 RPM drive that could also be a part of the problem ;p

my harddrive doesn't say what speed it is. It's a Western Digital 100gb enhanced IDE drive. It's about 3 years old now.

I benched marked it at about 1900 w/ 3Dmark2001. Really don't have much to compare that to. When 3dmark2001 is running the vid's it drops fps at certain intervals just like in the games I play (mainly Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0) I'll run another benchmark and insert the screen shot of the results.

here is the screen capture with the benchmark, It was a better score than the last time I did it.

b45cea69.jpg

Like I said I really don't have anything to compare it to to know if this is good or bad. Does anyone else know?

edit: I just ran it again with triple buffering instead of double bufering and got a score 3129. Now what I am wondering is that now that I set it at triple with 3Dmark2001 will it keep it there for future gaming?

have to put this in, in 3dmark2001 I changed an option from double frame buffering to triple and since have not had any problems with the graphics within its capabilities. I thought the adjustments in 3dmark were only for the testing but apparently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom