Video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa219

In Runtime
I'm going to buy a new video card but is 128MB enough to play future games or should I get a 256MB?

right now, except for FarCry from Ubisoft, games only require 128 MB. In the near future, they will use the 256 MB of video cards if it is available. Before you go and buy a 256 M video cards, go and check some reviews from toms hardware or anandtech. Some companies boast 256 M but what they did was use the cheapest slowest memory available just to boost their sale. Go for good reliable companies ( I prefer brand names such as ATI made cards) but saphire also offer good quality.
I myself have the 128 MB ATI 9800 PRO but it is coupled with 1 G of RAM. The new generation cards are slowly coming out which means that older cards (i.e. 9800 pro, xt etc...) prices will come down in the next few weeks.
The best advice I can give you is shop before you buy and read reviews on the cards you want. Don't buy a card from what is written on the box.
Give us your computer specs and we'll be able to help you more as not all cards are compatible with all mother boards (specially older ones).

get a 256MB card and it will be able to handle all the new games. get something reliable and with a good performance. look a the new ATI's or the GeForce FX 5700/5900. I'd go for the 5900 but they are a bit expensive.

It really depends on what card you're getting that utilizes 256mb of vid-ddr. Here is my list of what card you should get if you want the 256mb:
Radeon X800 series
Radeon 9800xt (obsolete)
Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb (obsolete)
GeForce 6800 series
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra (obsolete)
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra (obsolete)

Notice how i didn't list any other card? Thats because those card aren't worth it for their 256mb; they are either too slow to run their own memory or not good enough.

Also, notice how some of the cards have Obsolete listed beside them? They are pretty much overpriced (seriously, would you get a 9800xt for 500 when u can get a X800 Pro for 400?). But you can still get these overpriced cards for the right price on ebay.

Note: Watch out when buying OEM brands (Saphire, Visontek, etc.). These brands usually use cheap memory to make their products cheaper so people would buy them instead of the main brand (usually slow 2.8ns and such ram). I'm not saying don't buy them, just make sure it's good enough.

it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend. mostly 128 will be enough but some future games may require more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom