Video Card Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I booted up my system this afternoon and noticed a bearly discernable high pitched grinding sound (pitch is similar to a wine and I can't hear it over my case fans unless I am really close to the case), so I opened the case up, stuck my finger into my slow 120MM to stop that (I trust that's not bad for anything (including the fan controller it was hooked up to) besides my finger) and listend. Then I shut the machine down and unplugged the fan controller to kill all but one case fan. I could then hear that it was the video card fan. Is it normal for them to wine/grind as described above? Should this be construed as a sign of impending failure of said fan? The thing is small and ducted, BTW, and my comp wasn't doing anythign while I was listening to it (just on the windows desktop).

Asus X600 XT. Stock fan, it's ducted to suck air thrugh the heastsink. Like I said, the noise isn't horribly loud, and I can't hear it from where I sit at the machine, or even when I listen near the case. Still a sign of failure? And what about my stopping that case fan with my finger?

EDIT: Erm, there was a post here when I replied...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom