using two hard drives on a laptop simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinp

Beta member
Hi,

I have a new job that has me traveling four days a week. Rather than travel with two laptops (a corporate and a personal) I'd like to just swap out hard drives.

Would it be possible to run two different hard drives?

It is a Compaq Evo N610c. The way I figure it I would need a caddy and hard drive. I have Windows XP Pro, so I'd have to install an operating system on the bare drive.

Could this work? What else do I need to know?

Thanks!

you can use an external USB 2.0 hard disk enclosure if you need more storage to copy files from your personal/ corp laptop. if you need to run 2 separate operating systems on a single laptop than you must create a second primary partition and setup dual booting. you can switch from the two operating systems at bootup. a menu will enable you to choose which to boot from.

I think that unless you do this a lot, the amount of work is going to be a big hassle. i would just bring both laptops. you can also setup reomte desktop, PCAnywhere or other remote control software that will let you access the other laptop remotely. figure out what you need and choose which will work best for you

I thought about an external USB hard drive setup or a partition, but that won't work well. The corporate laptop has been severely restricted and I can't even change my clock settings on it! It is that bad. Internet access is logged and highly restricted as well. Seemingly harmless sites are blocked.

I think the best option would be to run a completely separate system. I just want to see if it would work before I make the effort. I like to travel light and I'd rather bring a second hard drive weighing just a few ounces rather than a complete second laptop and accessories that can be about 10lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom