Using an old hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugabooz

In Runtime
I have an old 4 GB hard drive. If i hook it up with an IDE cable, and boot it from BIOS, will it work? It has windows 98 on it. Just thinking i would ask before i try and screw something up.

Depends on what it came out of. Obviously not the PC in your sig. It more than likely will not boot unless the mobo is nearly indentical to the one it came from. You can slave it in as a secondary drive and use it for storage or open files, run the programs on it (maybe).

i just want to copy some of the files from the hard drive, nothing permanent. It came out of a old 1999 dell pc. Ill try it on my newer dell pc. But can you explain why it wouldn't work on the pc in my sig? Isn't a hard drive a hard drive?

i just want to copy some of the files from the hard drive, nothing permanent. It came out of a old 1999 dell pc. Ill try it on my newer dell pc. But can you explain why it wouldn't work on the pc in my sig? Isn't a hard drive a hard drive?

It won't boot into 98 with your new hardware.
Just hook it up as slave and then retrieve or add files to the 4g hd. It will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom