Urgent virus problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tOny mOnt4n4

In Runtime
My neighbor is having troubles with her computer and she has reformatted and gotten every virus software etc. i dont use any virus software because my router has a built in firewall. i think she would benefit from hardware such as a router with a buitl in firewall.
the question is Are there any alternatives to a router (she only has one computer) that would offer the same or better virus protection? thanks

I would never advise someone to buy a router with a built in firewall if they have a "Virus"

Best bet is to do what z3phyr04 said, and get a better anti-virus/spyware scan's etc

Try someonline scanner's such as TrendMirco, BitDefender, Panda.

could try downloading AVG Free edition, too.

After trying all three and it doesn't work get back to us.

Aye, I agree, I have a hardware firewall as well as ZA, but the guy's neighbour doesn't want to pay for protection when they don't really have to.

she just payed to have her computer reformatted for third time so there is no viruses on there now but she needs something that will stop viruses. software hasnt worked, you guys know any good hardware?

Is your neighbor on a high speed connection? If so then hardware Firewall will protect them against network attacks and worms. The router will add the extra protection of NAT. If they use email then you wound want anti virus installed. You can also have a local firewall ZA is good and easy to use. Picking an AV product can be default free is always nice but you get what you pay for. Pick on that has the ability to respond to a virus out break with definitions.

Norton has up-to-date definitions but it uses a large amount of resources. AVG and Avast are both good free ones.

As cheap as you can pick up a router on ebay these days its Crazy not to have one; even for one pc, just for the hardware firewall.Of course good software antivirus protection as well as popup blockers and something to remove spyware is a must.
I have found frequent scans to be very helpful.
I am using AVG,Ad-Aware SE,with a hardware firewall.A browser that scans email is also a plus too.I am using MSN Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom