Upgrading vs installed OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

THe_JaKaL

Beta member
My mother in-law has a funky HP celeron that is the cheese to put it lightly. The mobo doesnt even have a grafix port. So I am gonna upgrade her mobo (Abit IS7-V2 wich I had laying around), p4 prescott 3.0 800fsb, and a gig of geil pc3200 ram.

My question is this:

When I swap out the mobo and all, can I use the installed Operating system? or will it need a fresh install?

She has a whole load files and programs she wants to keep.

I have built a few gaming machines but never done a big hardware swap before with out doing a fresh install.

you can try to use the existing OS after you change the MOBO, if problem aries, do a repair install (when u install XP, you have 3 choices: fresh install, Repair install, and quit (I think))

If its anything like Dell, you can perform a fresh install.

However, I must warn you: When I tried using the Dell Windows XP CD on a fresh computer, it shut down because the computer was not a Dell computer. It did work on a fresh hard drive in the Dell. I can only asume it looked at the motherboard (The only dell proprietary part), and made the determination as to leting it install or not by identifying it.

That, of course, goes out the window when you try and us a normal windows xp cd.

FadingTheory ~ I tried that - useing a Dell XP reinstall to install windows :p Dell puts a chip on their mobo's with all of the keys I guess.....

But I had to spend $100 on XP upgrade, since I already have 98

THe_JaKaL said:
Can I do a system recover, since most likely thats what HP gave her. :confused:

I doubt that will work because the disk Hp gave her will probably have the motherboard drivers of the old board. There will be a conflict with the new board in all likelihood.

Yea, you are probably right, I may have to take my xp cd over there. If I do a repair will I still have to use a key code and re-activate it? I will save the data, then try a repair first and then if that doesnt work I will do a fresh install. Thanx guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom