Upgrading Sony Vaio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingskip01

Beta member
I want to upgrade the motherboard on my three year old Sony Viao tower.

I went to two major electronic stores and was told that Sony uses nonstandard motherboards. The staff told me I wouldn't be able to use anything sold at their stores.

HELP! What can I do? I want to upgrade to DDR RAM and have a faster Front Side Bus, but I don't know what's compatible with my system.

Thanks,
Skip

buy a new case and motherboard. U will not find a motherboard to fit into your vaio case unless u buy a vaio motherboard. Some are made my intel and some are made by other companies. You will need to buy a new case.

well i pcked up a Sony PCV RZ35G the motherboard was made by ASUS specificly for Sony . I have this nice Aluminum case that i plan on putting it in .It has a crap load of front usb , sound and memory stick that ill have to mod around .P4 2.8 HT ,DVD-RW ,
CD-DVD Player , 512 mb Samsung PC 2700u memory . TV tuner with S video .Low end FX5200( i plan on installing my spare 9700 Pro ).120 GIG Seagate HD onboard sound / Gig Lan . Digital DT speakers , KB , mouse , NEC 17" LCD monitor . Actually a pretty descent system .The MOD will help keep me from day dreaming :) .
Plus" free is good :)"

Thanks for all the tips.

I don't have the money to spend on new cases, PSU's and such. Where can I find out who manufactured my motherboard? If I contact the manufacturere, could I buy a better motherboard that would still fit my old case?

Thanks,
Skip

look on the motherboard for a Number .If thats the original case there should be a Model/Serial number on the side cover or rear.
Use the internet to search for any info , use key words like
"How to identify older Sony Computers " . Your bound to find plenty of WSites with info.

Cases don't cost that much and usually come with a PSU, as long as you don't get anything fancy. You'd be much better off going with a standard ATX case, easier to upgrade than a proprietary system. I went through what you're going through about 6 years ago with an IBM Aptiva. I ended up building a new one from scratch and salvaging what I could from the Aptiva, never bought a proprietary system again, besides a laptop for obvious reasons.

So Here's the next question...

Will a new Nvidia video card fit into the case? It's a 128 MB Geforce 4 with a 8x AGP slot.

Thanks,
Skip

Yes, an 8x card will not work but as posted above you can ind better boards made for Sony's. If you are really set on keep what you have in the Sony be prepaired for some costs but hey, thats what being a Case Modder is about. However realize that Sony is very picky about there systems in the fact (not of quality) but of who can change them without Sony products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom