upgrade question!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikatan

Beta member
I am in a little bit of a pickle here. I have a choice between upgrading my processor or else to upgrade my ram. I have to buy this laptop for SEVERE (and I really mean it) multimedia tasking. So, I can either upgrade from a 3.4 ghz prescott (1mb L2 cache) to a 3.4 ghz extreme edition processor (2 mb L3 cache) or else i can upgrade from 1024 mb Dual-Channel 400mhz ddr ram to 2048mb. What should I do?!?!?!?! the price is equivalent (30 dollar difference) and although i've seen articles saying that the 3.4 ghz extreme edition isn't worth the price increase (like 600 dollars), it is still faster. I'm not sure whether upgrading to 2048 mb from 1024 will change my computer much since I'm talking in HUGE amounts of ram already. I'm looking to choose one because both is out of my (already big freakin') budget . PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!!!!

thx

pika

specs:

17.1 '' WXGA screen
9700 Radeon Mobility (256mb)
60gb (7200 rpm)
DVD+-RW
etc...etc...etc....

go with the ram, cause the processors are pretty much the same in speed, all that will matter now is the amount of ram.

I had a similar scenario recently, though not quite as high spec. I ended up taking the RAM option as that would keep all my existing tasks happy for now, and improve the performance far more than slight processing speed. I figure with the generational changes in Processors, I'd be able to upgrade that at a later date and for a reasonable saving down the track.

Was best to take care of the RAM.

My 2c worth, but your $...

Prescot eats more power.Coupled with more ram added power drag.I hope your gonan have a wall out let close and not depend on battery life much.

I vote the EE not entirely sure about the power usage but makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom