Upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rade32

Beta member
Ok, I am in a dilemma here. I bought a Dell Dimension 2400 about a year ago, not expecting to do any (serious) gaming on it. I recently got the new Matrix Online game and don't meet some of the minimum requirements, including: my 256MB RAM to the min. 516MB -- and my Intel Extreme (HA!) Graphics/video card. Since there's no AGP slot, I am considering a PCI card.

I'm not a computer "wiz" so I'm not sure what to do (and am low on money). Should I buy a memory upgrade to 516MB and a PCI card? I was recommened to the PNY GeForce FX 5500 128MB DDR PCI graphics card and disable the Dell drivers and motherboard video.
I want to consider selling/buying another computer as a LAST option as well.
This is a farely large game, that I want to play to the fullest, but it looks like I don't have many options...

Any suggestions/comments?

the minimum upgrade SHOULD be enough (the matrix online isn't very graphics demanding at all, your integrated graphics can probably play it on low settings)

Well when I start the game my mouse freezes and/or is invisible. I checked the Matrix Online support FAQ's and they said this is due to the not-put-to-par graphics card.

yea, it's probably because your onboard can't support the dx9 or because it has 32mb ram (matrix needs 64)

So do you recommend I use the PNY GeForce FX 5500 128MB DDR PCI graphics/ PCI card?

the 5200 will work fine, despite its sloppy Dx9 shaders. since its a MMORPG, it can't be too much graphics intensive. you should probably go to the offical matrix online forum and start a topic asking who plays the matrix with a 5200. the feedback should give you a good idea what your performance should look like.

Thanks diablo and switch

Another quick question: if I have 256MB RAM now and put a 516MB chip in slot 2 does the 516 add to the 265?

same problem differant game

i have the same problem as above intergrated video card and no agp slots only pci but i just bought doom 3 and everyone raves about the 66oo and 68oo but they ony come in agp will the 5500 run the game i have 512 mgs of ram and a 2.60 g celeron and if it won't what should i do this is my first real game for the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom