Troubleshoot video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezle

Beta member
I tried to install an additional RAM module, but now my PC won't complete its startup. I have a ATX MS-6163VA mainboard with a Matrox video card, using Award BIOS. When I turn the computer on I get one long beep then three short beeps, indicating from what I have read a video error. The system sounds like it is going to start, but the monitor does not come on and eventually the system shuts down. How do I troubleshoot the video card or figure out what the problem is?

Notes:
When I was adding the memory module, I removed all of the modules and changed the order in the sockets. I have since tried the original order without the new module and several others in trying to correct the problem

Prior to the problem occurence I had two RAM modules, one 64MB, one 128MB, SDRAM. I was adding a 256MB SDRAM.

I just moved back from Europe, and I'm still running the system through a power convertor to get the 220V. Anyone know how to change the power setting to 110V? There's a message on the PC box saying to refer to the system manual to change the settings, but I can't instructions.

Thanks for any help

You may have knocked the video card when installing the RAM.
I would first try taking out the card and reinstalling it. Make sure it's seated right into its slot.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

That did it. I had removed the video card once already, but I tried it again and the problem cleared up. Must have put a different english on it this time. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

As for your power issue, there should be a switch (very small, need paperclip) on your power supply going from 110v to euro volts. Try that out.

check this
disconect all cards, take you battery bios and wait a couple minutes to reset it and then just put the video card, bios battery adn boot without memory, yes it will give you the beep code, the turn off, put the memory again and it shoul be ready.
this is a weird problem, it happens to me whit intel motherboards, it looks like the bios keeps the memory buses configuration and if you change the order or add anew one sometimes it keeps the old order. is weird cause it is suppesed to recognice the new memory and adjust to it, but now i know the trick
just boot without memory, wait for the beeps code, then reinstall memory again
let us know if you solve it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom