switching from a dell to AMD build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahn

Solid State Member
is it worth it to switch from a dell to an AMD build if I'm not going to over clock or anything? I currently have a 4600c and its pretty good for most things, but its horrible with games.

I think I found a lot of good deals to build a costum computer, but I've seen my brother build computers and it doesn't look simple. So would it even be worth it to make the switch from pentium to AMD if I'm not going to over clock?

Heres the build I want to switch to:

Processor
Processor Speed - 64 3200+ / 2.00GHz
Processor Interface - Socket 939
Bus Speed - 2000MHz
Additional Technologies - HyperTransport

RAM
Memory Size - 512MB
Memory Speed - 400MHz PC3200
Memory CAS Latency - 3
Memory Type - DDR
Pins - 184

Mother Board
Form Factor - microATX
Processor Interface - Socket 754
Processors Supported - AMD Athlon 64 up to 3700+ AMD Sempron
Additional Technologies - HyperTransport Technology
Channels - 6 Channels
Speed - 4X8X
LAN Type - 10/100Mbps
AGP Slots - 1
PCI Slots - 2

Graphics Card
GPU/VPU - RADEON 9550
Maximum Resolution - 2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz
Video Memory - 256MB
Memory Type - DDR
Memory Bandwidth - 6.4GB/sec.
Interface Type - AGP
Interface Speed - 8X
Connector(s) - DVI, TV/S-Video, VGA

Hard Drive
Capacity - 120GB
Cache - 2MB
RPM - 7200 RPM
Average Seek Time - 8.9ms
Average Latency - 4.17ms
Interface - IDE Ultra ATA133

Sound Card Would I really need the sound card?

And could you please say if any of these parts are not worth buying, or anything you would suggest buying instead of them (thats reasonably priced)

I dont get it. You have a S939 CPU and a S754 mobo. You can't do that.

Ditch the S754 board and get a S939 DFI NF4 Ultra-D, and ditch the AGP card and get a decent PCI-E one. That should all work.

what if I changed to this motherboard
and this graphics card ? And I always thought that AGP was better then PCI, I'm guessing its not then since you suggested I switch? Also do you think I would be able to put this together, because if I wouldn't be able to then it wouldn't be worth switching.

The specs I have right now are:
2.8 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 133 mhz FSB, 533 bus speed, 512 KB l2 cache
Standered motherboard - Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P chip set
2x standered 256 DDR - SDRAM Freq 133 Mhz, 1:1 FSB:DRAM, 2.5, 3, 3, 7
Standered graphics card (can't really find any specs about it, but I can tell you that its complete garbage.)
120 Gb hard drive

thats a PCI gfx card. you want "PCI-E" E is for express.

Chaintech is an OK brand

TheHeadFL said:
Unless things have changed recently, I'd use Newegg.com and not Tigerdirect.

same here, unless they dont ship to you. newegg.com is always my first pick.

EDIT: oops double post.

so then maybe this graphics card ? Sorry, but as I've said I'm pretty new to this.

And I know its hard for you to say how hard it is to put a computer together or whatever, but just taking a guess do you think I could get this put together? If I couldn't then its not even worth it. Thanks for all the help so far.

And I was just using tiger direct because sometimes they have really good sales. I will probably try to find the same thing on new egg if it is not a sale (or atleast something close).

yahn said:
so then maybe this graphics card ? Sorry, but as I've said I'm pretty new to this.

And I know its hard for you to say how hard it is to put a computer together or whatever, but just taking a guess do you think I could get this put together? If I couldn't then its not even worth it. Thanks for all the help so far.

And I was just using tiger direct because sometimes they have really good sales. I will probably try to find the same thing on new egg if it is not a sale (or atleast something close).

thtas still PCI. look on this page : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1558

Putting together a PC isn't that complicated. It's when you boot it up and start using it that it gets tricky lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom