stupid stupid computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_aggie

Beta member
Ok, I know this may have been posted and sounds easier than I'm making it but I need serious help.

I just got this new computer 2 months ago. 2.8GHz processor, 512 ram, and 250GB hard drive. My problem is that I download something every chance I can get. Also, someone told me that when you delete a file or program, it is not completely off of your hard drive. Well, my computer has been going slower than normal. If I don't get this fixed, moms is gonna blank!!!! So Someone PLEASE help me:
clear hard drive space
improve performance
and how to check my memory/storage

defrag it, clear out ur temp files clear ur cache in ur browser and run some desktop cleanup tools. try running ad aware and usually when i install a prog then i uninstall, i will uninstall then go to its directory and delete the file it was once in unless it has like saved games

First to thi:

START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter

Then do this:

START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

That should help considerably, especially if you are using the better half of that drive.

Okay this will make an auto run script that will perform when you start up or shutdown...:
Open notepad and paste this exactly how it is:

del "C:\Documents and settings\*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.ie5\*\*.*/q"
del "C:\Documents and settings\*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.ie5\index.dat/q"
del "C:\Documents and settings\*\Local Settings\Temp\*.*/q"
del "C:\Documents and settings\*\Local Settings\Temp\*/q"
del "C:\Windows\Temp\*.*/q"
del "C:\Windows\Temp\*/q"

Don't change anything, it will work fine. Okay now save it as "cleanup.bat" (without quotes obviously, same goes for all quoted items in this post) and choose all files in the file type selection. This will designate it as a windows batch file. Have it save to your main drive (usually C:). Ok now go to start, run, type "gpedit.msc" then under "computer configuration go to "windows settings" and double click on "scripts (startup/shutdown)"
double click on shutdown on the right, and click on add, then browse and select the .bat file you've created and click apply
then close gpedit and reboot.

Now when it is executing a shutdown/restart you should see "executing shutdown scripts" and this means it worked, and it's deleting the temp files...

Computers don't run slower cuz you filled up HD space. It would run slower because running proceses in the background. Run a virus scan and an adaware scan. Also, go to start>run type in msconfig and press enter. Go to the startup tab and uncheck all the progams you don't need. After start-up your system tray (place where the clock is) should be almost empty except the clock, maybe MSN if you have it, and a Virus scan if you have that too. Volume control is fine too, but other things you don't need or know about should be gone ;)

I recommend Webroot SpySweeper... It's newer than adaware and I think it does a much better job. I've used both and SpySweeper is my favorite :).

thanks fellas for all of your help. I;m sorry it has taken a day to respond. I can't tell you how happy I am that you guys actually responded. If I can understand how to do all of those things just mentioned, I'm sure I will be okay. Once again, thanks a million guys I can't wait to try them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom