Stripped Screw Extraction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octavius

Beta member
Ok i have one stripped screw that i cannot get out using jewelers equip or cpu equip. I dont want to use a screw extractor from home depot because that could really screw (no pun intended) things up. I need to get this screw off beacause i have to upgrade my ram. PLEASE HELP!

TIA

ok, is this screw located on the case, or somewhere else, like on a hard drive etc. etc.

if its on the case, your best bet is to get a drill/drill bit thats id say 1/8" less in diameter than the screw and just drill it out. Then just use some compressed air to blow the particles out of the case, pay special attention to sockets and slots as metal particles inside those can be disasterous. Oh, when you are doing this, be sure to remove your in-case speaker as it is magnetic and will attract all steel particles.

oops, forgot if its on a hard drive or other drive...

if its got a large head you should just get a dremel and make a straight cut in the screw and get a flat head screwdriver and there you go :)

Do the damaged screw out thing, its the better option.

You can get a "cut off" tool and make slot in the top of the screw where a standard screw driver can turn it. You might damage the case, and you'd best cover the openings to prevend the metal dust from entering the case. Drilling it out can damage the threads on the case and the metal shavings can screw things up. Cutting the head off will complicated if you plan on reusing the hole. It will damage the case.

It sounds like you(or whoever) are tightening this case way to much, your only holding on side panels.

Have you tried pliers? If you or someone you know has very strong hands, they might be able to put enough pressure on the sides of the screw head to be able to turn it. That's how I got one of my strippded screws off of my case fan.

I would but the screw is recessed. I just spoke with another computer guy who has a dramil or something that re-notches stripped screws... hope that works!

heres wut u need to do-- saw the top of the screw (dremel, hack saw, etc) so you make it into a flathead screw. then use a regular flathead screwdriver, and remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom