Strange motherboard!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmizz

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

First off great forum, full of awesome information.

My problem is that since just the other day (dont know what I did to my computer that day) my computer will only boot up and run into Windows XP when my floppy drive and CD-ROM drive is unplugged from my motherboard. If I plug them in (as they were before the other day and ran with out any problems) my computer will boot up and just after the POST screen it will come up with the message "Diskette drive 0 seek failure
Primary drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 1 not found"

My computer is a Dell Dimension 2400, Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz
256 MB of RAM
chipset - Intel 82801 DB

If any one could help me out with this I will be very happy, thanks guys/girls.

Regards
James

Check if your cables right in the correct manner ... and if you have done anything with the jumpers also correct them ... try connecting devices 1 at a time to see if anything conflicts..!!

Thanks for you post vnet.
The cables are all in their correct places, power cables are all hooked up and jumpers are in the correct and orignal place.
The only conflect I get is when the CD-ROM and floppy drive is connected at the same time as the hard drive. When all 3 are connected at the same time if I go into the BIOS settings it says that there is no Hard drive or CD-ROM installed just the floppy drive. Then I connect just CD-ROM and I get the same problem as before but the BIOS only finds the Hard drive. Then with just the Hard Drive connected it will run fine with no problems. The CD-ROM and floppy drive wont work of coarse.

Regards
James

what happens with just floppy and HDD?
- if that works properly it may be the CDROM drive

are the CDROM and HDD connected on the same channel? if so, try connecting them on seperate channels and see if that helps

If your on the same ide cable with the hardrive ... try the cdrom with cable select.... if it still doesn work ...use the secondary ide .... and oh yes also try a new ide cable....

Boot is in correct order, if I just have floppy and HDD connected it runs perfect and the floppy drive works fine BUT... the reason for me thinking the CD-ROM wasnt busted is because if I have that connected and boot the PC up the CD ROM makes that noise that it normally does the the POST is testing it.

Regards
James

They are on diffrent cables and I have played with the jumpers but with no such luck. I have also changed cables and still no glory.

Regards James

Im starting to think that my motherboard is kinda well..... dieing which isnt a bad thing considering its a Dell.. na jokes. But thats for all your guys help. It is a real strange occurance.

Regards
James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom