STOP message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickKnight

Beta member
Ok, my dad and I are putting together our first computer, and whenever we "load files" from the Windows XP disk, it gives us an error message saying that there may be a virus blah blah blah
BUT it would be impossible to have a virus on it, because it has never been exposed to the internet and the hard drive is brand new (well... It's six months old, but it hasnt been used).
It also puts up this message:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF898563C 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Please help!

I wish I could just write zeros into it, but I can't even type in it, and thanks for the help. I hope the links help me.

okay, maybe I'm misunderstanding you... it has a problem DURING the installation. You dont write zeros from within a windows environement. You download a program (like maxtors firstaid, get one that is by your HDD manufacturer), xtract it on a bootable floppy, boot to it and then run the program from a Dos prompt. Scan the HDD, and if repairable let it repair then write 0's to it. Word of warning, do NOT do this on OLD hard drives and be prepared to spend a long time, because on large volume drives this takes a very long time. Also, read up on the type of HDD you have to make sure writing zero's is okay (it's also known as a low level format).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom