Step Two Completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShoobieRat

Fully Optimized
Alright. I now have 50% of the new stuff for my new computer I'm building.

I just recieved my new mobo:
MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum

and my new processor:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 512kFSB Barton

All looks good (although I won't know till I get everything together if it all works as it should).

I put in my order for the third shipment, including
ADD-ON PPA USA|USB2.0/1394 (PCI USB/Firewire card)
(2) 120GB SEAGATE SATA
Thermaltake CPU FAN AMD|SILENTBOOST
PDP DDRAM 2x512MB 64x64 PC3200

The only thing left will be the eVGA Geforce 6800GT 256mb card, which I'm waiting for the next shipment to NewEgg to be delivered before I buy it.

Once I have that fourth order in...it'll be build time! w00t!

Nice :D

Although, if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose do go with an AMD XP as opposed to an AMD 64? Just curious...

Although, if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose do go with an AMD XP as opposed to an AMD 64? Just curious...

Mainly because of the fact that the 64's aren't fully supported yet, they cost more, and the mobo's that support them aren't as fully featured as the XP boards.

Then there was the whole memory-compatability issue...the cheaper 64's not supporting dual-channel memory...the limited support (both system and knowledge-base)...etc etc...

Well that's fair enough, but surely that CPU will bottleneck your 6800 GT? (which is the problem I have, which is why I'm also upgrading in a few weeks :) )

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2.17ghz/166mhz fsb
Well the XP3200+ operates at a 400MHz FSB, 2.2GHz, so it should be an improvement over yours (no offense intended).

None taken!

You'll have a damn nice gaming system regardless, methinks. When you've put it all together don't forget to tell us what 3dMark scores you get, I in particular will be very intersted.

don't forget to tell us what 3dMark scores you get
Hey, no shyt, man! I'm gonna run every bench I can on it!

Of course, step 1 is to just get it all to work. I'm hoping it's going to go smooth and I'll just be able to fit everything together, power-on, and load the OS. I already know I need to switch the mobo FSP jumper to handle the 400MHz FSB, because the factory setting is at 100MHz (for 200MHz FSB).

Everything should be set, though. I'm only gonna put in one of the SATA drives, first, and get it all running. Then I'll put in the second SATA and my other two IDE drives.

Man...it's been a while since I built my own machine. I'm nervous 'cause it's my own money this time. Plus, although I deal with hardware all the time, I rarely build an entire machine from scratch. The last time I built a whole machine, cold, from scratch, was about four years ago, and technology has changed!

Give'n me the willies here!

Oh well. I want that greased-weasel machine...so here goes noth'n! :)

ShoobieRat said:
Then I'll put in the second SATA and my other two IDE drives.

Do you mean you've got four hard drives? If so, that's a lot of potential for multiple OS's or something. Or am I being stupid; do you mean your DVD-ROM/DVD-R/W drive(s) :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom