Some hardware issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bew556

Baseband Member
Alright to start off every time my cat walks by the front of my computer it restarts...funny yes i know. I finally learned that its my power button and restart button. For some reason when I touch them they shock me and the computer restarts. Not to mention every time this happens I can't just hit the power button to turn in back on again, or unplug power cord from power supply...I have to open up my case and unplug the p1 connector from the mobo and then plug it back in?! Any ideas? Seems like a case or motherboard problem.

Alight after putting up for this for a few times one of the times I got clumsy and forgot to unplug the power cord or turn off the power supply switch before I yanked out the p1 connector to do my daily routine. The computer blinked on and off about 10 times and then shut off. yay! Ever since around this time I've started having hardware issues. First issue i noticed was when I open up WoW for the first time after my computer being idle for awhile the mouse image will freeze on the screen but I can still see it highlight buttons and so forth I just can't see where it is because the image is frozen on the screen. I restart comp and play again, doesn't do it. This happens everytime I come home from being idle for awhile. It only occurs on WoW.

Next I get this marine aquarium screen saver thing...every time the screen saver starts it restarts my comp...Then when my computer finishes rebooting a Microsoft message pops up saying you have experienced a Critical Error that says something about my graphics card drivers lopping themselves or something and the solution is to update drivers or replace video card. Well I have the newest drivers so yeh...(I would tell you exactly what error said but I have a different video card in my comp now and it seems to work fine.) I uninstall it and use another screen saver and its all good. The screen saver works fine on my parents computer.

So I install Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield on my comp today and it works fine until I quit the game and then it gives me an error message which is made up of a bunch of code that I can't read. It gives me option to Cancel, Send Report, and one other...No matter which one I decide to click my comp restarts.

As of right now my plans are to send my graphics card back hoping that will solve all my problems. Like I said it seems to run fine with my new graphics card in there. Have any suggestions before I send it back? Also any ideas on the shocking I get when I or anything else touches the power and restart switch? If you made it this far then I thank you for reading:)

Edit: Case is X-Dreamer II and it didn't use to shock my cat or anything else the first few months I had it.

Re:

Whoaaaa, how many problems do you have!? :( :p

Ok...first your graphics issue. It looks like you have a graphics driver conflict (just taking a guess :p ). What graphics card do you have? You might want to try uninstalling and re-installing your graphics card driver.

As for your cat casting spells on your PC, looks like you have a grounding issue. If static electricity is screwing with your PC, then you'll probably want to do the following:

- Stop sliding across the carpet with socks on :)
- Shave the cat :)
- Make sure that your computer is properly grounded to the mains outlet. If you have a metal case, make sure that's grounded too.

I think the reason why you have to manually open up your case and re-plug the p1 connector is to revert the polarity or free the static (something like that, I hope i'm making sense :D ). It most definately looks like a grounding issue, which should be sorted ASAP. Electro Static Discharge can kill your PC, so try and keep your cat away for the meanwhile :p , and make sure you open up your PC on a ground mat, wearing a wrist strap or keeping hold of the bare metal of the case. Make sure ure cat has a wrist strap on too :p ...

I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers before, I've even gone to the extreme and reformatted a couple of times. I just put my 6800gt back in and tried uninstalling drivers and instead of getting the drivers off nvidia's site I got them off of evga's site since my card is evga. However I'm not sure but I think they still are same drivers. Well so far so good, raven shield no longer gives me the error. As for everything else, I'll just have to see over time. Like I said with WoW It only does the mouse problem after computers been idle for awhile. Thanks for help, I'll post if any of the other problems occur.:)

I agree with Alvin that you should shave the cat. However, all of your problems could be related to the first. If your system is not grounded properly, you could have all kinds of odd instability issues. Get a meter and test your power outlet (yeah, the one in the wall). Is it grounded properly? Is the voltage correct? Then test your surge protector and power cable but be careful (or just replace all of the above). If the power source to the computer is okay, you probably need to replace the power supply (if it's non-standard it'd be cheaper to replace the whole case). You might find this miracuosly fixing the rest of your problems.

I ended up sending the video card in because after putting my old geforce 4 ti 4600 back in my comp everything seems to work perfect. As for the shocking problem I just taped a piece of paper over the power buttons and so far so good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom