sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

compy

Daemon Poster
what's with all of the socket numbers for in AMD cpu's? why doesn't intel have them? what differnce does it make between the diff sockets?

The socket typ tells what type of CPU you can plug into it. this also goes along with what chipset is in the motherboard. Intel's are: Socket 478 = Penium 4
Socket 370 = Pentium 3
Slot 1 = Pentium 2 and some earlier Pentium 3's

As for AMD's I'm not completely sure about all of them but some are: Socket A = Athlon, Athlon XP, ?Duron?
Socket 754 = 64?
Socket 939 = 64?
Socket 940 = 64?
The ones with the ? mark I'm not completely sure about. I hope this Helped

does a higher socket number mean better performance? why not just make the whole chip and mobo universal and not worry about sockets?

Basically, the more pins you have, the better your processor is.

Today's main choices include the following.

Socket A (462) - Athlon XP, Duron
Socket 478 - Pentium 4, Celeron
Socket 754 - Athlon 64 up to 3400+
Socket 939 - Athlon 64 above 3400+
Socket 940 - Athlon FX and Opteron

how does it make your processor better, does it make it faster or some thing?

does it matter what core you get? oh yeah, why don't the amd cpu's have 800 fsb, also why do the intel chips have higher ghz? is it because the amd's have the shorter things(forget what they are called)

Yes. I don't have all the core options memorized, but I do know that if you are getting an Athlon 64 3200+, you will want the Clawhammer, becuase it has a larger L2 cache at the expense of 200MHz on the clock speed. There are probably similar differences with other processor cores.

ok, i also edited that post if you could help me out. is an xp 3200 socket A and ok processor for a mid level gaming comp? remeber, limited money i'm playing with here yet i still want performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom