Socket A Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
I have an unlocked AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton). I want to build a new system, but I don't want to spend much. Would it be more cheaper for me to to buy a better overclocking Socket A motherboard than to build a new system? Would it be more practical (I see no use for 64-Bit)?

Well considering all you'd need is a decent OC'ing Socket A mobo which is approx 80 compared to the $100+ you'd spend on a Socket 939 board and $150 for a decent but cheap socket 939 CPU, then you're basically looking at $80 dollars vs $225+

It'll definitely hold you off for atleast a year which is basically what you need until they release a 64bit OS

I'm thinking of getting a DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra-B. From what I understand, it is a good overclocker's board. I need good air cooling, any suggestions for that? I also need a cheap AGP 8x graphics card that will run every game I throw at it smoothly, SMOOTHLY, NOT THE BEST POSSIBLE, any suggestions?

Megadeth2 said:
I also need a cheap AGP 8x graphics card that will run every game I throw at it smoothly, SMOOTHLY, NOT THE BEST POSSIBLE, any suggestions?

ati radeon 9800 pro; 128 mb; 256-bit

I like the 6600GT...much better than anything I see here...guys I want this rig to be AMD...I love Intel, but I don't have anything against AMD and you guys know that...they are both great companies, but there are so many options

Yeah if you can afford the 6600GT then that'll offer you awesome gameplay. It'll actually be more than you need really and if you're really worried about PCI-E and all that (which really I think some people are jumping the gun on that) then just wait a year until you upgrade :p

I think AMD64, SLI, and PCI-E are overrated right now. Common case of 'OH NEW TECHNOLOGY GOTTA HAVE IT' when it's not even fully utilized or standardized yet and won't be for months to come.

A good OC'd socket A board with good memory, video card can definitely hold it's own to some AMD64 CPUs....about up to the 3500+ and after that, the GHz of the AMD64's will just outperform the GHz able to be achieved by the OC'd processor.

If you can get your CPU to 2.5-2.6 it will be more powerful than the lower AMD64 CPUs.

Also yeah I hear good things about DFI's overclockability although I haven't fully looked into it.

I think mainly it'll allows for a higher overal FSB, but if you're doing that, then you're OC'ing your memory as well which is more difficult than OC'ing the CPU IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom