Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun

Beta member
Operating system: Windows XP Pro
Equipment: COMPAQ 4410LA, 1.4GHZ
128MB Ram
20GB HDD, Approx. 5 GB in use.

I've got one heck of a problem with my computer running EXTREMELY SLOW!! The problem started small, i.e. taking about 5-7 minutes to boot-up, and gradually worsened. It now takes about 30 minutes to boot-up in "Normal Mode". This started about two weeks past, at which time nothing unusual occurred. No new programs loaded. Spyware/Adware and Virus scans are negative. HDD temp. is about 113F. CPU use seems to be normal. However, a "Memory Meter" shows that the memory maxed-out frequently when attempting to run any of a number of programs! On rare occassions, runs fairly fast (at speeds that I would call normal)!! ALWAYS runs fast when booted in "Safe Mode" - which I'm using right now! Only problem in "Safe Mode" printers are not available, and some other programs will not run - apparently a LOT of drivers are not loaded in this mode! The Task manager shows a LOT of processes when the computer is operated in "Normal Mode" and perhaps half as many in "Safe Mode". I've run every kind of test that I can think of and can't seem to pin down the problem!

The fact that the computer runs faster in "Safe Mode" vs "Normal Mode", would seem to indicate a problem with memory - - but if that were the case, why then does the computer, all of a sudden, speed up (although, as stated above, "rarely"). when in "Normal Mode". VEEERRRYYY strange!

Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this problem? If you need more information, let me know the specifics and I will attempt to supply such.

Wanna try formatting your HDD and re-installing windows?

More RAM wouldn't hurt either.

uninstall windows xp pro you are choking your system xp pro is to much for your computer to handle

Memory is the problem here, Windows XP totally eats away memory, you need at least 256mb, but 512mb would work a lot better. 128mb just won't cut it, unless you want to downgrade your OS to Windows 2000 or something.

Yes i suggest you get 512mb Ram, but make sure you know what type of RAM your mobo takes. But memory help is limited, your system is extremely out-dated.

Im sure thats a intel celeron 1.4ghz 400mhz fsb. I would take getting a new computer in conseteration.

Okay. Thanks to all! You've all pretty well confirmed my suspicions!

Will try to upgrade the CPU and Memory (512MB). Isn't it amazing how fast a computer system gets out of date??? I've only had this thing since 2002!!

it's 2005 man... Any computer even if it was top of the line at some point will get outdated in 3-4 years.

Hey Forchunet you're absolutely correct!! Still, it's somewhat disheartening to spend so much money for a product only to see it become outdate a couple of years later!! I know that progress is the way of the world, but wouldn't it be nice if, when you've purchased something of such value, that it would FOREVER be up to snuff??

Ah well, guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and fork out some more money - sniff, sniff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom