Sharing a 56k connection, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

og55

Beta member
Hi Guys,

I want to be able to share my 56k internet conection between 2 computers. 1 computer is a room that has it's own dedicated phone line for the internet. the other is in another room with no phone line. I'd like for the second computer to be able to share an internet connection with the first one (ideally without the first computer having to be turned on or online, though if this is not possible i'll take what i can get)

I know the simplest solution would be to run a phone line to other room but this is not an option (and also the computers couldn't share the connection) There are wireless routers out there for broadband connections, would this also work with a 56k? (i know i know, i'm very old tech :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
og55

well firstly i would reccommend gettin either cable or adsl u will notice the difference straight away trust me. but i know these are available everywhere. The simplest way is to put a network card in either comp then run a crossover Network cable inbetween the two then it would work, simple. BUT for this the comp with the Modem will have to be on and connected for the other to work the only real way around this is a router as u sed. But again as u said u cant find any with a 56k modem in built, so the best way round this is to get a external modem with a ethernet output and connect it to a switch. ive never done this before but i know doing this kinda thing can cause alot of heartache but its upto u. hope this helps :D

all you need is a splitter you can get one at radioshack or some place that sells phone eqipment

ya i have my dial up split, just go into ur modem properties, and click on internet sharing

Amd64Boy said:
all you need is a splitter you can get one at radioshack or some place that sells phone eqipment
just a thought, in my experience most splitters will separate 2 lines... in other words there are 4 wires in a phone cord, only 2 are used for any 1 phone line. the typical splitter would take and split the 4 wires into pairs of 2, one set for each of 2 lines... something like this

phone cord = ABAB
splitter = A_A_ and B_B_
make sence?

aj2003 said:
well firstly i would reccommend gettin either cable or adsl u will notice the difference straight away trust me. but i know these are available everywhere. The simplest way is to put a network card in either comp then run a crossover Network cable inbetween the two then it would work, simple. BUT for this the comp with the Modem will have to be on and connected for the other to work the only real way around this is a router as u sed. But again as u said u cant find any with a 56k modem in built, so the best way round this is to get a external modem with a ethernet output and connect it to a switch. ive never done this before but i know doing this kinda thing can cause alot of heartache but its upto u. hope this helps :D

Thanks I will look into what you told me. But I think I might have been unclear in my original post, BOTH computers have modems, it's just an issue of getting one computer to share internet access with the other.

BTW the phone splitter won't work, it requires me running a cord to the other room which is not an option (I can't touch the carpet) I'm looking for a wireless solution

Thanks

All you basically need is a network between the 2 pc's. Then you go into the connection properties and set it to share your conenction.

you would have to run cat5 cable to the other computer (crossover or through a router) and network the 2 comp., but your connection will be sloooooooowwwwww.......

don't you dare do a wireless network with a phone connection as your isp

yep just connect one to the internet and use windows to set up a home network...but good luck with the speeds

If I remember correctly, they had something like a router for phones and it only took one phone line. you could talk on the phone and be on the internet with 2 computer, but it was years ago, when I had seen it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom