SATA vs ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
IF i were to buy a completely new system RIGHT now.
Should I go with SATA or ATA? Whats the advantages/DisadvantageS?

If you have tryed both, What have you noticed, What do you prefer?

Thx for the opinion.
It counts.

I would get SATA. SATA is faster than PATA with speeds up to 150MBs so far. PATA cables use 40 wires so the cables are more bulky. SATA only use 7. The length of the PATA cable is confined to only 18 inches. SATA cables can up to 38 inches I believe. SATA doesn't require much power compared to PATA devices. You will aslo be able to connect more than 2 devices per cable as well. SATA devices are soooo much easier to install and configure.

All around ... SATA is well worth the investment.

-Mike

SATA and ATA drives cost the same at this time. most new motherboards have SATA controller in addition to ATA controller. my advice is if you get a motherboard with no SATA support do not buy an extra SATA card if you do not plan to get a SATA device like SATA hard disk.

remember if you get a SATA hard disk it is almost required to get a hard disk cooler because SATA hard disk get very hot because they usually run at spin speeds faster than ATA133 7200RPM. hard disk coolers are very inexpensive.

sata=serial ata
ata=Pariall ata(cant spell it so.........)

Sata will run right now at a max of 150mb/s and is mainly used with a 8mb buffer/7200 rpm. The highest ide drive runs at 133mb/s 7200rpm and 2mb-8mb buffer. Ultimitely when comparing the two sata has no dissadvantage, although it has no jumpers u can count that against it o for it but i hate jumpers.
And almost all mobos have sata ports, so go sata.
Ps--If you want a fast machine get 2 74gb raptors or 2 36gb raptors plug em into raid 0 and danm one fast computer. They run at 10,000 rpm each cost half as much as a 10,000rpm scsi drive and are comaprable in speed.

I dunno, but when I asked everyone if I should get the SATA cable with me Sata Drive, they yelled at me....I cried.

Well if you actually look at the seek times, they aren't really too far off. I don't really see too much of a difference between the newer IDE drives and the SATA's. I heard the Serials run hotter, but I don't think it would be that much of a difference.

allm0t0rsir said:
i will be building a new computer soon and i wanted to know what is need to run a sata hard drive?
nothing but a motherboard that has sata ports and cables the rest of the things dont matter. Sata's are good and reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom